Friday, April 16, 2010

Dreams of Dinosaurs

This is not so much about one dream I've had, but about a recurring image over the past three days - giant lizards.


April 12/13: I remember very little, except for a moment towards the end. I was walking a long a big lake. I could see all the lake, but it was still pretty big - and reminded me of Lake Banet (no image to accompany) - sort of like a giant kidney bean. I walked to the edge, down a sort of steep incline, to a puddle of water which was all slimy and black, which I understood to be the "beach/tide" area. Out on the water, giant creatures were breaching the surface, like whales coming up to breathe. Giant snapping turtles with thick, armor plating, and ankylosaurus (plural: anklyosauri? - see image below) which did not seem to have legs. I did not go in the water, because I was uneasy with just how many giant reptiles were in the water.


April 13/14: Again, I remember only the end. I was running through a very hilly place - the hills were large and sloping, and there were always twists and bends, deep ravines, but climbable. I was part of some sort of war party, and we were fighting these giant snakes that emerged from the hills. The snakes were covered in moss and clay - they looked like they were made of earth. Sometimes they looked like dragons, with massive jaws and sinuous bodies. Then there was a woman, of sorts - she had human legs, but she had a thousand arms that whipped around her like tentacles. She had a large head and black eyes, and she laughed whenever we tried to hit her with...whatever it was we were using. She too was made of moss and mud. We ran all through the hills, hitting things and fighting, but it never felt like we were actually doing anything - not dying, not winning, not losing. Just fighting and running.


I wonder why reptiles seem to play such a large role in my dreams of late, and why I'm more neutral about them than frightened. Unease is the worst I feel, but never real fear. And even with the fighting dream, it felt strangely harmless despite all the action. Hmm....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your thoughts! Hopefully they aren't spammish, dirty, mean-spirited or ignorant.