Thursday, March 7, 2013

Stairs, a Bear, and the Evil Thaw

I do not remember the first part of the dream that well - I was on some sort of space station, and there were all these flights of stairs. I think Matt Smith/Doctor Who was there, along with D. We were running from flight to flight - looking for someone?

***

The second part I remember better. It was winter, and I was in a scrub forest that was also sort of a bog.  I was walking along with Billy Boyd/ Pippin from "Lord of the Rings" (sort of - that's what my mind said, even though it didn't really look like him). Suddenly, a bear awoke and started chasing it. It was a massive grizzly bear, and we ran through the brush and swamp. We jumped through a long narrow window made in the brush, and I landed in a roll that I didn't even feel. Round and round we kept running, the bear getting further behind. Then there was a man in gray robes - I guess that would be Ian McKellan/ Gandalf. He grabbed us both and pulled us against a table made of sticks, against a wall made of twisted sticks. The bear was not too far, and the man in gray cast a spell. The bear thundered past us, so close that I could see the light rippling on its fur.

We thought we were safe, and I leaned out from against the wall. The bear reappeared at a distance, and saw me. Now all three of had to start running. It was at this time I noticed the scenery changing. It was still winter, but it was melting. And the swamp-like trees and low scrub brush looked more and more like lean-tos and low-lying shelters. I found myself crawling under low roofs with no thatch, or ducking around walls made of crude carved sticks. Then the three of us found ourselves on an open plain of melting snow and yellow grasses. We got separated - the bear chased me back into the low-lying trees and scrub. Again I saw that what I thought was just tangles of dead branches were actually rough/abandoned dwellings.

At some point in this sequence, I sensed there was a sword in the hill. At the space where the melting snow cut a path down the hill there was a small hollow, and inside the hollow was a sword. I also knew that a man needed that sword - or had owned the sword before. My mind did not reflect on this too long, though I think Sean Bean's face flashed before me.

I managed to lose the bear on the fields. However as I came over a rise I ran into a group of soldiers. The leader wore brass scale mail and green cloth. He had furs draped his shoulders, and a reddish purple beard.  He and his soldiers looked burly, and he shouted a word at me. I did not understand, and he shouted it again, putting a hand on his weapon. The only thing I could think to do was to genuflect, to show him that I was in league with him. I knew that with the thaw the armies would be moving back into this part of the land - that evil was returning. And that meant this guy must be one of those people. Before anything else could happen, a second group appeared. This group was led by a man in more Persian like garb - black boots tucked into dark red billowing pants. I could not see his face, for it was wrapped in red cloth except for his eyes, which were lined in grey ash. A third group was arriving, all in black tattered robes. The three groups stopped and eyed each other, speaking in a language I could not understand.

I knew the only way to survive and get back to my group was to pretend like I belonged. So I cheered with them, and the man in the red head scarf told me his name - it was two words and the first started with an S (Shagur Gaela? Salar...nope, don't remember it). I followed them back to the scrub brush, which was now full of people moving into the rough structures. Armies and individuals, but all with an air of "bad guys" about them. I made my way through them, trying to not draw attention to myself. At the far end of the group, a young girl with blond hair and a white t-shirt was giving wine to some men sitting on a strip of land jutting into the swamp. A solid wall stood next to them , though it had started to crumble. Each jug of wine had special properties, she said, and gave the man a red. He drank it, and immediately grew taller. His face elongated frontwards like a snout, and he took of jogging. I could feel his excitement, even as I was excited to be escaping.

******

This is the second dream in a row now where I've been chased by an animal. A similarity I notice between the two is that even though I'm running, and I am afraid, I'm not terrified. I don't panic, I don't run out of breath, I don't scream - I just run. It's like a lazy fear, like I don't have any doubts about my running. And I always seem to know where to go, even though I don't.

This dream was interesting also because on reflection I don't recognize the language used at all - it didn't even sound regional. It sounded made up.

There was something important going on that led to the transition - something about the first part of the dream. There was a woman, I think, or a play - but I seem to vaguely remember a frail body submerged in bloody water. I think we were trying to find that, but I don't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your thoughts! Hopefully they aren't spammish, dirty, mean-spirited or ignorant.