Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Research (Not a dream)

What I have neglected to do at all in this dream journal is write about the images I look up.

For example, a few days ago I had back-to-back dreams about being chased by an animal. I did not get caught, but I was being threatened. According to the two pop-culture dream image books I have, both of the animals in question - sharks and bears - have negative connotations when attacking the dreamer. This might sound obvious. However both also have a very specific negative connotation: that the dreamer is going to be betrayed by friends.

I found this to be a little disconcerting, naturally. If these sources are to be trusted, then my subconscious is feeling betrayed, or senses that treachery is near. It could be a manifestation of some hurt feelings I have right now. It could be my brain is trying to warn me about something that I do not see.

This is all based on whether or not I accept the dream imagery books or not. I am of the opinion that some dream images do have meanings that apply to all dreamers. Beyond that, however, I tend to think the image or object's actions in a dream, and how the dreamer relates to them while dreaming, are equally important. A certain animal might be considered a bad omen in theory, but if in the dream you are happy with said omen, then perhaps a different interpretation is in order. For example, when I was a little younger than I am now I dreamt about snakes frequently. I was indifferent to their presence, even when they were popping up throughout a dream. For the most part the snakes and I cohabited a dream space with neutrality, sometimes positively. Lately when I dream about snakes, however, there is more of a threatening aspect about them. At times I am even conscious while dreaming of the different tone when I see them.

Ultimately, I think that one has to examine the emotional overtone of the dream to pick out the best signal and potential meaning.

Yes, that sounds nice and conclusive...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your thoughts! Hopefully they aren't spammish, dirty, mean-spirited or ignorant.