Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Jaws, Jaws, and the Infinite Blue Sea

This dream took place mostly in the ocean, and on cruise ships...

I remember I was on a ship, but something happened and I had to get to an island. The boat did not sink, but I was on the wrong boat or something, and decided to swim. But there were no islands around. I sank into the ocean, and it was empty but for a great white shark rocketing towards me with its jaws wide open. I darted out of its way, knowing that I had to out turn it. It snapped and disappeared, but there was another shark in the water - a white tipped shark. I knew from watching a documentary that they would try to surprise me from below, so I swam in a sort of panic, looking at the blue depths below me. When I saw it coming, I swam on the surface of the water (prior I was swimming below it), trying to confuse the shark. It chased me in the water, trying to surprise me, but it could not. It was very confusing.

I think there was a giant octopus at some point.

I was swimming and swimming, and eventually I came to a strange underwater tunnel. I recognized corals and other underwater plants, but the tide was very strong and I could see the waves hitting the sloping sand. And there was sunlight. I swam through the tunnel, trying to not get knocked against the coral or the beach. I think I failed towards the end - the water was too turbulent to protect the plants.

And then I was on a buoy in a harbor, and then in a shipyard. Ships were everywhere, and I climbed aboard the one I thought was mine. But then the ship was released from the dock and plummeted down into the water bow first. I slammed into the water, and thought the ship was sinking for sure, since it was half-submerged. There were those gentle ship bells going off, and the Captain apologized for taking things a little too strong.

It was at this point in the dream I distinctly remember wondering why I never needed to breathe underwater.

I left that ship, swimming again to another ship, and climbed aboard. It was also the wrong ship, and I knew then that the ship I wanted was going to sail by a lighthouse/ breakwall off in the distance. I was going to go in the water, but this Australian scientist stopped me, and pointed to all the seagulls on the water. "Those birds go where there is food," he said, and I knew he meant there were sharks in the water. So I decided I would swim around the gulls. I swam around a bridge, and there were more ships in the water. The water was turbulent, but I don't remember seeing any more of the sharks.  But I could feel danger all around me - there was tension in the air.

I reached the ship by the breakwall, and knowing there was a shark in the water waiting for me, I did not swim, but leaped from the ship to the island. There were other people on the island, a man and some children. It was like a scouting group. They asked me what I was doing, and I tried to explain about needing to find the correct ship. I had to go back in the water, even though they told me not to. I was so tired by then, but I swam up to another ship and was hauled in by the stern.

***

I don't know if I actually found the ship I was looking for by the end of the dream. I just remember climbing aboard, walking around, and realizing it wasn't the right ship. When I was in the shipyard I knew that everyone was trying to figure out why I was there. And I talked to a lot of people on land - but apart from that scientist trying to tell me about the feeding gulls, I don't remember any of it.

Then there were the sharks - lots of teeth. And danger - there was a lot of danger in this dream. Some I could see, some was implied. I think there might have also been a strange black worm thing with teeth in addition to the sharks, but I don't know if I dreamed that or saw it earlier and am now putting it in my dream.

And I remember that there was a lounge, either at the beginning or somewhere in the middle. A really big lounge in brown wood, leather and crystals. But it was broken down - there was a woman with curly red hair, and electricity.

I don't know why I never have to breathe in my water dreams. I am conscious of the fact that I should be drowning, yet I never do. I just exist in the water as I would in the air.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your thoughts! Hopefully they aren't spammish, dirty, mean-spirited or ignorant.