Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Gar (pseudo-nightmare)

I started off in a van, trying to catch a flight. I forgot everything I needed in another suitcase, which I had not brought with me. I was panicked and trying to phone people to help me, which I was sure I was going to miss my trip. Somehow, I either spent the night in the parking lot at the airport, or I drove back and returned. The flight no longer mattered for some reason. I think...there were nice people at the airport who helped me? I don't recall ever actually getting on the plane.

Then I was looking for fishing poles at a store. Dad and my sister were there, and a Japanese family. They were tourists, and we were in an odd version of my hometown. The poles were picked over, and I could feel mounting pressure from my family to hurry up and find a pole - they were going to make fun of me. I could feel anger welling up inside - it was important that I find a pole with a reel on it, and not a fly-fishing pole! I finally found an acceptable one, and told everyone to be quiet about it.

We drove behind the college to Lake Banet - but it was not Lake Banet. I've dreamt of this version of Lake Banet before - it's large and primordial.

"Tell them the story of the Horror," Dad said.

"Well, legend tells of the Horror, who has lived in this lake for over two-thousand years..." I began, getting out of the van. I took my pole to the sandy, foggy-water shore. There were no cattails or rushes, which did not strike me as odd. My plan was to catch a small fish to show the tourists. I cast my line into the water, and after a short time the bobber disappeared and made a fast beeline for the side shore. There were no rushes there, which was puzzling, but I started to reel in the line.  I thought for sure it was going to be a small bluegill or perhaps a small bass, but as I pulled the line in the shape of the fish grew larger and larger.

"Oh wow!" yelled Dad. "Look at that!"

I pulled an enormous gar to shore, taller than I was and fat. It was ancient - a prehistoric fish. It had no real fins, but was shaped like a giant eel, with aquamarine and green scales the color of recycled glass and as wide as my hand. As I pulled it in, I saw that my hook was embedded in its upper mouth.   I was relieved and happy about this - it meant that I could easily remove the hook and let the fish go. I twisted the line and brought the gar over to my family and the tourists, letting the fish swim lazily in front of them. It twisted against the hook, opening and closing its mouth in frustration. and everyone laughed nervously.

"Go ahead, you can touch it," Dad said.
"Just be careful of the scales - they're as sharp as razors," I added.  The tourists giggled and stroked the gar's side. Just then the gar twisted on the line again, and several of its scales stuck out from its body like broken glass. It rolled away like a crocodile and swam with the line towards me, and I had to back up. Suddenly I realized that I was being edged backwards, away from shore. I could still touch the bottom, but the gar fixed and eye on me and continued to twist towards me.

"Uh oh, looks like he's figured you out!" called Dad.

The gar got closer, and I tried to back away from the razor sharp scales. I formed a "u" around me as I waded backwards further into the cloudy golden waters...

***

I heard myself whimpering from far away.

I woke with a start at 5am, frightened.

I have dreamed of this lake before - I don't know if it's here in the blog (I believe it is), but in my dreams the lake is named after one near where I live, yet does not resemble the lake at all. Giant, dinosaur fish swim in it. The last time I dreamt of the lake, the waters were clear and I could see the giant fish in it - even then it made me uneasy to look at them. There were also small mud pots and small steam vents.  This time the waters were different - murky, but almost lit from within and golden in color like sand that has been upturned in a current.

If you don't know what a gar is - here is a picture

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your thoughts! Hopefully they aren't spammish, dirty, mean-spirited or ignorant.