Sunday, March 29, 2015

Blood Puppy (Nightmare)

I dreamed I awoke in the middle of the night, because I heard a chewing sound. Looking over my bed, I saw the puppy had chewed through her cast and also her leg. I went over to stop her, but she bounded out of her cage. Her leg was shredded and bits of flesh hung down.

I kept trying to stop her, but she kept eluding me. I called the vet. They put me on hold. I was weeping because they wouldn't listen to me.

When I finally got ahold of her, she was covered in blood. Her leg was whole somehow, but bleeding everywhere. I kept trying to wipe it away, but I couldn't find a wound. She was gleeful, chewing on her own muscles and ripping herself apart. I couldn't make her stop.

***

Perhaps what makes this so frightening is that overwhelming sense of helplessness. The blood was pretty awful, but it was more not being able to fix it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your thoughts! Hopefully they aren't spammish, dirty, mean-spirited or ignorant.